Three people displaced after fire on Washington Ave.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Firefighters battled flames at 498 Washington Avenue in Albany. The fire chief says the call came in around 12:45 p.m. Monday. He says one person was sleeping on the third floor when the fire broke out, but woke up after a fire alarm went off, and was able to escape safely.
Firefighters say while they were able to keep the fire from spreading to nearby buildings, there is a lot of damage to the inside.
"We had fire through the roof. Once you have balloon construction, it gets in the voids, it's like a chimney, it goes right up that void and right into the cockloft and spreads out horizontally in the cockloft and then you have an attic fire which is hard to get at," said Robert Forezzi, Albany Fire Chief.
Three people were displaced as a result of the fire, but there were no injuries reported.