A two alarm fire spread through a Town of Newburgh home as two parents take matters into their own hands while they wait for first responders to arrive. YNN's Alexandra Weishaupt has more on their heroic actions which helped save their children's lives and their own.
NEWBURGH, N.Y. -- Four scared children and two level headed parents was the scene of an early morning house fire that broke out on Hy Vue Drive in the Town of Newburgh as the family slept in an upstairs bedroom.
"We opened the door and there was smoke coming through. We immediately woke everybody up and trying to think of what to do as quickly as we could,” said father Joel Fuentez.
The smoke detector was sounding and smoke was billowing into the dark room, but together, Joel and Meghan Fuentez had a plan. Dad knocked out a second story window and jumped out to lower the others down. Mom helped each son one by one and then followed suit.
“That adrenaline is going and as you think back you think how did I do that but you do everything to get out and make sure everybody is safe,” said Fuentez.
A 21-year-old cousin who was sleeping in the basement was also able to escape through a back door. Crews are now commending the quick reactions of the parents as they brought their family to safety from a fire believed to have started smoldering in a living room couch on the first floor.
“It’s incredible. They did a great job. Usually people in situations like this, they panic. It was a tremendous job and they're lucky to be alive,” said Lt. Thomas O'Connell of the Town of Newburgh Police Department.
Mom and dad were taken to St. Luke's Cornwall Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. They did lose their family dog in the incident, but say they feel lucky to be alive.
“We’re just parents. You do what you got to do to make sure they’re okay,” said Fuentez.
Officials say the home suffered extensive damage, is uninhabitable at this time and will take months to repair. The family is staying with relatives in the meantime.